Saturday, August 14, 2010

The key to international happiness

I think I’ve discovered the secret to living internationally: find one or two things that make you really, really happy (or are really, really American) and splurge.

This time last year, a fellow teacher, who had lived internationally before, mentioned that she was joining a gym. I, too, was looking to join a gym and inquired as to how much it would cost to join. She looked at me matter-of-factly and explained, “Well, there’s the US$250.00 inscription fee, then it’s US$70.00 per month after that.” Back then, my mind reeled at those numbers. Was she serious? To me, paying that much for a gym was absolutely outrageous. She assured me that the money was well worth it to have a place that made her happy and relaxed.

Now, after being in the DR for over a year and suffering through workouts outside because I wasn’t willing to pay that much per month, I am now planning on joining the same gym. I’m also about to sign up for a US$50.00 per month iPhone plan, which will allow me a steady internet connection so that I can Skype my friends and family.

The thing is, living internationally is tough. Yes, it’s lovely and fun and buttercups and palm trees at times, but the truth is that being away from American conveniences – like clothes dryers and toilets with seats on them – can wear on you after awhile. I’m finally realizing that to make my life a little more enjoyable, and to remain happy for another year here, I’m going to have to splurge a little. I supposed that a person could splurge on anything: photography classes, nice dinners out, weekend trips, language classes…whatever makes him or her happy and content.

Now, if only I could figure out a way to transport my family and friends here for a small monthly fee…

No comments:

Post a Comment